This job posting is no longer active.
Director of ESG Strategy and Engagement
As our leader, the Director of ESG
is responsible for leading and executing our ESG Strategy, helping to shape the agenda and goals, build institutional capabilities, and elevate our disclosures, practices, and ratings. This person will lead the cross-functional ESG leadership team and work directly with the Executive Sponsor, the Senior Leadership Team, and key third-party partners to bring our work to life. This leader must have experience in and passion for advancing our environmental and social aspirations, working collaboratively across multiple functions, delivering on milestones and goals, and contributing to the greater good for our teams, our customers, and our communities.Primary Responsibilities:
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- Define and drive JCPenney's ESG Strategy. Engage in strategic planning and collaborate with relevant subject-matter experts to define JCPenney's aspiration; key goals and metrics; ESG approach; policies, practices, and disclosures.
- Be JCPenney's ESG subject matter expert for a defined set of priority ESG issues. Stay abreast of the latest developments on the topic and own policies, programs, processes, and projects related to ESG. Maintain a robust network of collaborators within JCPenney and engage with external peers and experts on your issues to bring leading thinking back to JCPenney.
- Lead cross-functional workstreams designed to achieve certain policy, practice, and disclosure outcomes within your defined set of priority ESG issues, including deeper analyses to improve the company's understanding of the issue, risks, performance, etc.
- Lead and Manage multiple large, complex projects, processes, and programs that include dependencies across multiple groups, including internal and external stakeholders to identify goals, success criteria assumptions, and risks.
- Drive the execution of multiple business plans and projects; develop and communicate business plans and priorities; remove barriers and obstacles that impact performance; provide resources; measure progress and adjust performance accordingly; develop contingency plans; and demonstrate adaptability and support continuous learning.
- Improving JCPenney's performance on priority external ESG assessments. Identify opportunities to improve performance with respect to company practices, policies, and disclosures and understand trends in ESG disclosures and implications for ESG disclosures.
- Shape disclosures and reporting on a defined set of priority ESG issues for stakeholder audiences. Develop ESG messaging and work with other members of the ESG team and Corporate Communications on the strategy to reach target audiences, including through the ESG Report, direct investor and other stakeholder engagement, and other channels.
- Advance the ESG disclosure and assessment sector within your defined set of priority ESG issues, including advocating for ESG frameworks, standards and assessments that foster long-termism, creation of shared value, and the transformation of societal systems for social and environmental sustainability. Identify and speak at external ESG events to highlight JCPenney's shared value strategy as well as share perspectives on best practice for a defined set of priority ESG issues.
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
- You think big, backed by a strong strategic and analytical framing
- You are innovative and creative
- You can influence executive leadership and align various stakeholders, sometimes with diverging opinions
- You lead from the front and the back, with the ability to continuously improve performance and bring out the best in teams
- You are a strong project manager
- You are a constant learner, picking up concepts quickly, developing insights and applying to the work effectively
- You have experience in and familiarity with one or more of our ESG priorities (sustainability a bonus)
- You are familiar with stakeholders' expectations regarding ESG practices and disclosures
- You have experience working with retail operations, merchandising, sourcing, and/or experience in sustainability programs AND with human resources and organizational development on social programs
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Bachelor's Degree (Master's preferred) in related disciplines required; several years of functional expertise and/or leadershipin fields pertaining to environmental/sustainable and social (bonus if from large retail organizations)
Expressed by level of knowledge, skill or ability:
What you get:
- Developing knowledge/skill/ability = minimal exposure to and a basic understanding of relevant techniques and concepts; focus is on learning (refers to engaging in relevant activities for the purposes of acquiring higher level of proficiency)
- Working knowledge/skill/ability = classroom or on-the-job training and/or practical experience with basic techniques and concepts; focus is on utilization (refers to leveraging the proficiency consistently and repeatedly to accomplish basic work outcomes)
- Proficient knowledge/skill/ability = extensive practice with techniques and concepts and ability to leverage proficiency for variety of issues; focus is on application (refers to leveraging the proficiency adeptly and creatively to solve a variety of work outcomes)
- Expert knowledge/skill/ability = Mastery of the techniques and concepts, a recognized authority and mentor in the field; focus is on strategy and mentorship ("strategy" refers to leveraging the proficiency for long-term planning and decision making and "mentorship" refers to developing the proficiency in others)
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise.About JCPenney:
JCPenney proudly serves customers at more than 650 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico, and at the Company's flagship store, jcp.com. JCPenney is one of the nation's largest retailers of apparel, home, jewelry, and beauty merchandise with a growing portfolio of private and national brands. Guided by the Golden Rule, JCPenney employs more than 60,000 associates worldwide and has served customers for over 119 years, playing a vital role in the communities it serves. For additional information, please visit jcp.com and follow JCPenney on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Job Title: Director of ESG Strategy and Engagement
Location: Plano, TX, United States -
Job ID: 1108945
J.C. Penney Company Inc.