Corporate Communications Senior Specialist
Reporting to the Manager of Corporate Communications, the Senior Specialist of Corporate Communications will support dynamic, integrated communications strategies to inspire and engage internal associates and external media and consumers. The primary purpose of this position is to create clear and compelling communications to build brand loyalty, share business updates, and advance the Company’s strategic objectives. The Sr. Specialist of Communications will support high-priority company initiatives, provide communications counsel to internal stakeholders, collaborate cross-functionally to source and produce compelling storytelling, and will coordinate complex and confidential business information to advance the JCPenney brand.
- Develop content that is clear, understandable, and engaging for a diverse audience (internal and external).
- Execute operational objectives and work plans for the corporate communications team.
- Serve as copy editor for all internal and external communications, adhering to AP style.
- External Communications (50%)
- Assist in the execution of a robust external communications strategy, partnering with cross-functional partners to properly position key messages.
- Help create a strong cadence of external messages—identify right message, outlet/platform, and timing to keep JCPenney relevant and improve Company reputation. Includes press releases, Company Blog, LinkedIn, etc.
- Collaborate with team to create and advance communications and media strategies in support of strategic goals.
- Actively pitch journalists on JCPenney initiatives; engage in national and regional cultivation of relevant media outlets, journalists, and analysts across all media formats, with an emphasis on growing reporter relationships in business and trade outlets.
- Monitor, share, and frame relevant issues/opportunities, stories, new research, and media reports.
- Provide media training and help prepare talking points for leader interviews, as needed.
- Draft and disseminate written external communications using clear, compelling core messages.
- Monitor the news cycle and JCPNews inbox to research and respond to media inquiries appropriately.
- Stay abreast of general media trends and provide recommendations to keep JCPenney communications relevant.
- Internal Communications (50%)
- Work cross-functionally to identify story ideas and develop content that is relevant to the international JCPenney team of 50,000+ associates across stores, corporate offices, field teams, and international offices.
- Creates and distributes e-blasts to targeted associate groups on a variety of subjects; high level of confidentiality required.
- Contributes to monthly Company Newsletter and intranet homepage stories with business or human-interest angles.
- Fosters relationships with business partners to stay abreast of company news, attending weekly or bi-weekly meetings as needed to ensure messaging is consistent.
- Administers policies, procedures, and programs to increase associate awareness and engagement.
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- Bachelor’s degree in corporate communications, public relations, journalism, or related discipline.
- Minimum five years creating content in an agency or as part of a corporate communications/marketing team; retail industry experience preferred.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and storytelling skills are essential with the ability to write for a variety of audiences.
- Have a passion for innovative storytelling and experience designing and producing a wide variety of digital content.
- Demonstrated track record in the design and execution of multi-faceted communications and media strategies that advance campaigns/initiatives and increase organizational visibility.
- Outstanding influencer and collaborator – effectively interact with colleagues across functions and levels to deliver great results.
- Ability to meet deadlines and balance multiple priorities.
- Outstanding time management and project management skills.
- Ability to form relationships and work cross-functionally within a large and highly-matrixed organization.
- Self-sufficient, with the ability to act independently in complex or challenging situations.
- Experience implementing and/or managing internal social media communities and platforms.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail, documentation, and accuracy.
- Creative, self-motivated, and able to work independently.
- Skilled at managing up, prioritizing, and setting expectations as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 applications; experience with MuckRack and BusinessWire services preferred.
What you get:
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise.
JCPenney proudly serves customers at more than 650 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico, and at the Company’s flagship store, jcp.com. JCPenney is one of the nation’s largest retailers of apparel, home, jewelry, and beauty merchandise with a growing portfolio of private and national brands. Guided by the Golden Rule, JCPenney employs more than 60,000 associates worldwide and has served customers for over 119 years, playing a vital role in the communities it serves. For additional information, please visit jcp.com and follow JCPenney on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Job Title: Corporate Communications Senior Specialist
Location: Plano, TX, United States -
Job ID: 1106964
J.C. Penney Company Inc.