Working under general supervision, the Compensation Specialist provides analytical support for the planning, design, development, and administration of associate compensation across the organization. Principal outcomes of this position include monitoring and supporting pay programs that maximize JCPenney’s competitive offerings, drive business results and support strategic goals in a cost-effective manner. An associate in this position will interface regularly with HR colleagues and business partners to ensure compensation components continue to be competitively positioned to effectively attract, retain, and reward associates. The Specialist will interact with his or her supervisor several times a week, perhaps daily, to receive general instructions for routine work or detailed instructions for new projects and assignments.
- Provide analysis to support the design, implementation and administration of JCPenney’s compensation programs.
- Conduct market research, streamline processes, assess opportunities, model improvements and assists with proposals to ensure the pay programs, structures, and practices are aligned with business strategies.
- Participates in job evaluations; analyzes job responsibilities, activates, duties, requirements and organizational structure and helps recommend internal job placement in the appropriate level, title, FLSA classification and determines market range.
- Work collaboratively with business partners to resolve compensation issues and achieve desired outcomes; provide guidance where appropriate to management regarding salary changes associated with promotions, demotions, transfers and relocations as well as market and equity adjustments.
- Support the administration of JCPenney’s variable pay programs including commissions, annual bonuses, and long-term incentives by researching market trends, offering process improvements, modeling outcomes and costs, and drafting effective communication.
- Partner with HRIS and HR OpEx to properly set up compensation plans, grades, salary ranges, job profiles, and other compensation-related elements in PeopleSoft and related HR systems.
- Maintains knowledge of new or pending local, state, federal legislation that may impact compensation programs
- Provide ad-hoc reports, statistics and information as needed.
- Model a high level of service when responding to requests within organizationally defined timeframes, completing projects as committed, responding to others’ feedback appropriately, and making optimal use of organizationally limited resources by offering assistance to other functional teams when appropriate
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- High School diploma required
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited learning institution with concentration in Human Resources, Business, Finance or Certified Compensation Professional or equivalent work experience preferred
- At least 1 year of experience in a Human Resources or Finance-related function required; analytical experience preferred
- Basic understanding of compensation practices and the implementation of organization-wide rewards programs and pay policies
- Proficient knowledge of Windows-based business software including Microsoft Office programs; specifically, Excel and Outlook
- Working knowledge of HR Management software such as Workday, PeopleSoft or similar system
- Proficient relationship building skills, including the capacity to anticipate needs and manage expectations, effectively communicate priorities and timelines, build and leverage cross-functional partnerships within and outside of the organization, and leverage influential leadership
- Demonstrated capacity for gathering/scrutinizing data to identify issues, opportunities, patterns, and sustainable business solutions
What you get:
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise.
JCPenney proudly serves customers at more than 650 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico, and at the Company’s flagship store, jcp.com. JCPenney is one of the nation’s largest retailers of apparel, home, jewelry, and beauty merchandise with a growing portfolio of private and national brands. Guided by the Golden Rule, JCPenney employs more than 60,000 associates worldwide and has served customers for over 119 years, playing a vital role in the communities it serves. For additional information, please visit jcp.com and follow JCPenney on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Job Title: Compensation Specialist
Location: Plano, TX, United States -
Job ID: 1103370
J.C. Penney Company Inc.