The Sustainability Manager plays a key role in developing, leading, and executing the company’s strategic objectives related to the environmental impacts of Private Brands production. The successful candidate can demonstrate the ability to lead effectively across multiple functions- including Sourcing, Raw Materials, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Product Development- and leadership levels to develop and execute environmental initiatives within the Private Brands value chain. The role requires a deep understanding of environmental issues and challenges in the retail/apparel/consumer goods industry, has experience working in a global corporate environment, and has a history of driving impact and change. The position reports to the Director of Responsible Sourcing and is part of the global Private Brands Sourcing organization.
- Partner with Director of Responsible Sourcing to develop environmental sustainability strategy, policies, guidelines, and standards for the sourcing of Private Brands products
- Serve as a subject matter expert and effective company advocate for environmental sustainability
- Develop and implement processes and programs to meet enterprise environmental sustainability goals in partnership with cross-functional teams and key industry stakeholders
- Educate and engage employees and value chain partners on the company’s sustainability journey
- Manage the collection, analysis, and reporting of environmental impact data using company systems and industry-standard tools, such as the Higg Index tools
- Collaborate with suppliers and identify key opportunities to reduce environmental impacts of production
- Work with production facilities and external stakeholders to create and implement remediation plans and drive impact reduction
- Use data to track progress toward goals and report to stakeholders
- Maintain knowledge of best practices, trends, industry standards, consumer expectations, and legislative changes to educate internal teams, continually enhance program goals and processes, and drive positive impact
- Support engagement with industry associations, multi-stakeholder initiatives, peer companies, NGOs, and other stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or sustainability, Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience working in corporate sustainability
- Deep knowledge of sustainability issues in apparel, retail, and/or consumer products industries
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with ability to communicate to all levels of management
- Proven experience in program development and implementation
- Demonstrated ability to influence, drive change, solve problems, and work collaboratively across functions and leadership levels
- Proven analytical skills, comfort with technology, and ability to utilize data for better decision making
- Strong project management and time management skills
What you get:
- We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise.
- JCPenney proudly serves customers at more than 650 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico, and at the Company’s flagship store, com. JCPenney is one of the nation’s largest retailers of apparel, home, jewelry, and beauty merchandise with a growing portfolio of private and national brands. Guided by the Golden Rule, JCPenney employs more than 60,000 associates worldwide and has served customers for over 119 years, playing a vital role in the communities it serves. For additional information, please visit jcp.comand follow JCPenney on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Job Title: Sustainability Manager
Location: Plano, TX, United States -
Job ID: 1102622
J.C. Penney Company Inc.