This job posting is no longer active.
Senior Counsel - Real Estate
The Senior Counsel – Real Estate will provide legal counsel and support primarily to JCPenney’s Real Estate business group. Significant retail leasing, acquisition and disposition experience is essential to this role, along with experience in related real estate matters, including survey and title, REAs, CC&Rs, easements, landlord-tenant contractual obligations/disputes, and post-acquisition/lease documents (e.g., amendments, SNDA’s, estoppels, etc.), all in a fast-paced, highly collaborative corporate environment. This role will report to the Assistant General Counsel – Real Estate.
- Work closely and collaboratively with JCPenney’s Real Estate business unit to:
- negotiate and draft real estate documents for JCPenney’s facilities (stores, offices, and distribution centers);
- negotiate and draft agreements with mall owners, landlords, other mall anchors, and other third parties regarding shopping center operations;
- provide strategic, high-level real estate legal advice, including acquisition, excess property disposition and land use;
- identify, manage and assist in resolution of real estate document disputes with mall owners, landlords, and other mall anchors;
- provide strategic counsel and practical business advice on real estate document/administration matters, including interpretation and enforcement; and
- assist in structuring real estate transactions and agreements.
- Identify, analyze and communicate complex business and legal issues that may have a significant impact to JCPenney’s real estate portfolio, and provide proactive advice to manage JCPenney’s legal and operational risks.
- Advocate and protect JCPenney’s real estate interests by enforcing third party obligations, defending and advancing JCPenney’s position in the resolution of real estate disputes, researching and drafting memoranda of law, and/or assuring JCPenney’s compliance with law and/or contractual agreements within the real estate practice.
- Continuously (as needed) review and update real estate forms to keep on top of best practices, changes in the law and client priorities.
- Assist JCPenney in the establishment and enforcement of internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the requirements of real estate documents.
- Supervise and manage outside counsel assigned to perform similar duties.
- Manage, mentor and help motivate one or more real estate paralegals.
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- 8+ years of real estate legal experience with retail real estate as a substantial component of that experience. Law firm plus in-house experience strongly preferred. Law firm-only candidates must possess substantial retail real estate experience with major retailers to be considered.
- J.D. from an accredited and recognized law school, and a member (in good standing) of the Texas Bar.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, analyze and interpret complex real estate documents.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communications, including the ability to quickly digest and convey complex legal issues to non-legal professionals throughout JCPenney in an intelligible and compelling manner.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively manage and deliver projects on time essential.
- Strong interpersonal skills including an ability to work well with others. This includes the ability to effectively influence management, peers and staff in accordance with JCPenney’s team-oriented and collaborative culture.
- Ability and desire to draft and edit large volumes of real estate documents weekly.
- Attention to detail.
- Impeccable ethics including a strong work ethic.
* Relocation not offered for this position.
What you get:
Our corporate office, located within the exciting new development of Legacy West in Plano, Texas, supports JCPenney stores and supply chain facilities nationwide. We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise. On-site campus amenities include health clinic, pharmacy, daycare and preschool, full cafeteria service, a 24-hour fitness center and free garage parking.
At JCPenney, we share a passion for serving customers, supporting our communities and being the best retailer for all families. As a company founded on the Golden Rule, our success is rooted in the belief that we treat everyone the way we would want to be treated. At every touchpoint, customers discover stylish merchandise at incredible value from an extensive portfolio of private, exclusive and national brands. Reinforcing this shopping experience is the customer service and warrior spirit of approximately 98,000 associates across the globe, all driving toward the Company's mission to help customers find what they love for less time, money and effort.
Working at JCPenney means joining a dedicated team of associates who are encouraged to be uniquely themselves in a safe, caring and welcoming environment. It is a place where careers prosper, accomplishments are celebrated and diversity flourishes. It’s a place that’s meant for you.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Follow us and see what’s new: Instagram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Media Room jcp.com
Job Title: Senior Counsel - Real Estate
Location: Plano, TX, United States -
Job ID: 1087162
J.C. Penney Company Inc.