IT Litigation Paralegal
The IP Litigation Paralegal works under the supervision of multiple attorneys and with the eDiscovery Manager, performing all legal assistance and/or paralegal functions related to the Company’s litigation matters, with a focus on intellectual property litigation matters and assistance with management of electronic discovery related to the Company’s litigation matters.
- Works with attorneys in the initial assessment and investigation of claims.
- Researches, gathers, analyzes, and compiles information and documents to assist in advising the Company in litigation matters and as part of the discovery process.
- Works with attorneys in the identification, interviewing, and preparation of witnesses and collection of documents.
- Conducts electronic searches and researches technical references, patents, copyrights, trademarks, and other legal matters.
- Coordinates and manages large electronic discovery collections and productions.
- Provides general assistance to attorneys, and prepares summaries of factual findings, legal research, and/or sequential and chronological events for attorneys.
- Works with attorneys in the drafting of pleadings, motions, and discovery documents.
- Works with attorneys in the preparation and dissemination of legal hold memoranda.
- Communicates with court personnel, personnel at state and federal agencies, and personnel at alternative dispute resolution organizations regarding proceedings in which JCPenney is involved.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of all aspects of the department’s work and its context in the organization as a whole, and maintains an awareness of, and stays up to date with changes in laws and procedures, specifically relating to the litigation practice area, intellectual property issues, and electronic discovery.
- Works with business units throughout the Company regarding procedures, processes and/or projects related to legal matters, as required and appropriate to obtain information and data, and to ensure adherence to legal requirements.
- May provide back-up support to other paralegals.
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- College degree or comparable paralegal experience is required; paralegal certificate from ABA accredited paralegal program is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience providing intellectual property litigation paralegal support to attorneys.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, multi-tasking, attention to detail, resourcefulness, and use of collaborative solutions in handling issues or tasks.
- Ability to work independently, manage simultaneous projects, and perform under pressure.
- Knowledge of and experience with electronic discovery rules and document collection procedures.
- Experience and working knowledge of electronic discovery tools and applications.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook required; experience with iManage preferred.
What you get:
Our corporate office, located within the exciting new development of Legacy West in Plano, Texas, supports JCPenney stores and supply chain facilities nationwide. We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise. On-site campus amenities include health clinic, pharmacy, daycare and preschool, full cafeteria service, a 24-hour fitness center and free garage parking.
At JCPenney, we share a passion for serving customers, supporting our communities and being the best retailer for all families. As a company founded on the Golden Rule, our success is rooted in the belief that we treat everyone the way we would want to be treated. At every touchpoint, customers discover stylish merchandise at incredible value from an extensive portfolio of private, exclusive and national brands. Reinforcing this shopping experience is the customer service and warrior spirit of approximately 98,000 associates across the globe, all driving toward the Company's mission to help customers find what they love for less time, money and effort.
Working at JCPenney means joining a dedicated team of associates who are encouraged to be uniquely themselves in a safe, caring and welcoming environment. It is a place where careers prosper, accomplishments are celebrated and diversity flourishes. It’s a place that’s meant for you.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Follow us and see what’s new: Instagram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Media Room jcp.com
Job Title: IP Litigation Paralegal
Location: Plano, TX, United States -
Job ID: 1086855
J.C. Penney Company Inc.