Corporate Communications & Public Relations Sr. Specialist - Human Resources
J.C. Penney Company, Inc.
The Corporate Communications & Public Relations team is responsible for communicating the Company’s strategic vision, elevating the perception of JCPenney by highlighting how the retailer is on a path to delivering sustainable profitable growth and creating shareholder value. We are looking for a proactive, enthusiastic communications professional to join our dynamic team, reporting to the Corporate Communications & Public Relations Senior Manager. This person will be responsible for external communications including:
- Highlighting brands and product categories within the men’s and young men’s departments, working closely with the marketing, merchant, product development and design teams
- Touting announcements and initiatives promoting our 860 stores, including store openings, store anniversary events and local General Manager awards. This person will also serve as the main point of contact for store crisis issues and will play a critical role in advising our store partners during sensitive initiatives such as position eliminations and store closings
- Supporting communications and public affairs needs for the Company’s supply chain and customer care teams
- Managing announcements and changes within the real estate, facilities and construction services team, including the new JCPenney store that is under construction at Collin Creek Mall
- Playing an important role in the strategy development and execution of communications plans during key shopping periods, back-to-school and holiday
- Work directly with reporters and serve as a company media spokesperson for a publicly traded company
- Contribute to the creation of communication plans taking into account multiple channels for message dissemination
- Develop messaging and write effective press releases and local alerts that garner media attention
- Field and evaluate incoming media requests and delegate accordingly, particularly around key shopping periods such as back-to-school and holiday season
- Assist in preparing and facilitating executive interviews through media training and developing talking points
- Assist in securing and vetting thought leadership/speaking opportunities for company executives
- Contribute to @jcpnews, the retailer’s corporate Twitter handle, and the Company’s corporate blog
- Build and maintain relationships with business partners to stay abreast of company news, attending weekly or bi-weekly meetings as needed
- Ensure stores are informed of media activities through appropriate and approved communication channel
- Split team administration duties with another senior specialist, which includes overseeing our media hotlines, distributing a daily media report, maintaining our media lists and mall contact lists and creating and distributing recap reports to company leadership
- Foster a collaborative working environment among all team members through information sharing and open communication
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or related discipline
- 3-5 years of experience working in corporate or brand communications – either agency and/ or corporate PR department. Prior experience in the retail or consumer-focused industry a plus.
- Strong, proven writing skills, utilizing AP style grammar
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and awareness of delivering messaging and official company comments to members of the media on behalf of a publicly traded company
- Possesses clear ability to manage multiple projects at once while demonstrating exceptional composure and flexibility under tight deadlines.
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office applications, including fast typing abilities with minimal errors.
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms and WordPress
What you get:
Our corporate office, located within the exciting new development of Legacy West in Plano, Texas, supports JCPenney stores and supply chain facilities nationwide. We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise. On-site campus amenities include health clinic, pharmacy, daycare and preschool, full cafeteria service, a 24-hour fitness center and free garage parking.
At JCPenney, we share a passion for serving customers, supporting our communities and being the best retailer for all families. As a company founded on the Golden Rule, our success is rooted in the belief that we treat everyone the way we would want to be treated. At every touchpoint, customers discover stylish merchandise at incredible value from an extensive portfolio of private, exclusive and national brands. Reinforcing this shopping experience is the customer service and warrior spirit of approximately 98,000 associates across the globe, all driving toward the Company's mission to help customers find what they love for less time, money and effort.
Working at JCPenney means joining a dedicated team of associates who are encouraged to be uniquely themselves in a safe, caring and welcoming environment. It is a place where careers prosper, accomplishments are celebrated and diversity flourishes. It’s a place that’s meant for you.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Follow us and see what’s new: Instagram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Media Room jcp.com
Job Title: Corporate Communications & Public Relations Sr. Specialist
Location: Plano, TX, United States -
Job ID: 1084344
J.C. Penney Company Inc.