As the Assistant Manager of Merchandise
you are accountable for contributing to profitable sales growth by leading and engaging associates, managing company merchandise standards and execution, training and developing associates, and executing sales building programsPrimary Responsibilities
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- Customer Service & Sales - Models and holds team accountable for outstanding customer service. Actively listens to customer issues to resolve problems. Maximizes sales and service by ensuring staff is scheduled appropriately. Drive planning and execution of events and credit card acquisition.
- Merchandise Execution - Owns in-stock levels through merchandise replenishment activities. Maintains high merchandise presentations standards, actively leads the team in planning and execution of all merchandise and visual elements in the store. Promotes company merchandise strategy and identifies local opportunities to drive sales. Oversees efficient and clean recovery throughout the sales floor and fitting rooms.
- Omnichannel - Supports Omnichannel initiatives to further drive sales and customer service. Owns the training and coaching on all Omnichannel initiatives and processes. Achieves productivity targets by reviewing available reports and developing action plans to ensure flawless execution of Omnichannel processes.
- Specialty Businesses: Responsible for driving sales growth in Fine jewelry, Window & mattress business by leading and engaging associates. Owns the planning and execution of special events within specialty businesses. Responsible for ensuring the completion of all operational workload, including pricing & signing, SET workload & shrinkage prevention processes within specialty businesses.
- Team Development - Oversees the productivity standards program for Store Specialty Businesses including Fine Jewelry, Window & Mattress departments. Partners with store management team to source and hire store talent for hourly positions. Plays an active role in the training and development of associates; coaches in the moment, addresses performance issues.
- Performance Standards - Consistently meets established performance standards; including but not limited to: shrink and safety initiatives, Omnichannel, scheduling efficiency, associate relations, engagement, customer service, profit, productivity, and attendance.
- Work experience- Minimum of 2 years retail leadership experience
- Education- Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience
To achieve success at JCPenney, a manager will possess the following competencies:Embraces a Growth Mindset:
Proposes and initiates actions on new ideas that improve our product, stores or practices. Will listen to ideas and suggestions and applies ideas when appropriate, champions new initiatives. Encourages others and their self to stretch beyond current capabilities. Willing to be a catalyst for change by challenging the status quo and motivates others to make improvements. Uses the growth mindset by seeing change as an opportunity to learn and grow.Thinks Critically:
Demonstrates business and functional expertise and stays current with developments in the retail industry; applies learning to drive company goals. Will gather the necessary information to fully understand the scope of the problem; applies critical thinking to develop options, identify assumptions and consider impacts. Uses fact-based analysis to guide decision-making; summarizes analysis clearly and succinctly and recommends a course of action. Demonstrates Leadership:
Creates an environment that fosters teamwork, recognizes others' accomplishments and respects and values differences in the workplace. Requires high personal and team performance standards, leads by example and motivates others to perform at a higher level. Able to give and is open to constructive performance feedback; holds self and others accountable for performance and actions. Creates a culture of development by coaching and teaching others. Aligns goals, processes, and culture to create momentum and champion a One Team approach. Takes Accountability:
Takes responsibility for excellent customer experiences and reliably delivers solutions that meet customer needs. Is able to build relationships by showing consideration for the perspectives of others, listening first before drawing conclusions. Develops positive and inclusive relationships across the organizationImplements with Excellence:
Develops and prioritizes short and long-range plans that are comprehensive, realistic, and effective in meeting company goals. Implements project/plans that are well-organized and efficient, seeks feedback and takes needed action. Demonstrates the ability to effectively delegate work and communicates plans and expectations to others.Drives Results:
Demonstrates a sense of urgency to act decisively and quickly. Establishes aggressive goals and takes appropriate risks to achieve results.What you get:
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise.About JCPenney:
JCPenney is the shopping destination for diverse, working American families. With inclusivity at its core, the Company's product assortment meets customers' everyday needs and helps them commemorate every special occasion with style, quality and value. JCPenney offers a broad portfolio of fashion, apparel, home, beauty and jewelry from national and private brands and provides personal services including salon, portrait and optical. The Company and its 50,000 associates worldwide serve customers where, when and how they want to shop - from jcp.com to more than 650 stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. In 2022, JCPenney celebrates 120 years as an iconic American brand by continuing its legacy of connecting with customers through shopping and community engagement. Please visit JCPenney's Newsroom to learn more and follow JCPenney on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Shows confidence when challenged and will do the right thing even when it's hard. Strives to achieve excellent results by creating a culture of continuous improvement.
Job Title: Assistant Manager Merchandise
Location: Carson, CA, United States -
Job ID: 1114662
J.C. Penney Company Inc.