Design Director - Women's ApparelJ.C. Penney Company, Inc. Plano, Texas
At JCPenney, we share a passion for serving customers, supporting our communities and being the best retailer for all families. As a company founded on the Golden Rule, our success is rooted in the belief that we treat everyone the way we would want to be treated. At every touchpoint, customers discover stylish merchandise at incredible value from an extensive portfolio of private, exclusive and national brands. Reinforcing this shopping experience is the customer service and warrior spirit of approximately 98,000 associates across the globe, all driving toward the Company's mission to help customers find what they love for less time, money and effort.
Working at JCPenney means joining a dedicated team of associates who are encouraged to be uniquely themselves in a safe, caring and welcoming environment. It is a place where careers prosper, accomplishments are celebrated and diversity flourishes. It's a place that's meant for you.
The Design Director will determine the brand's seasonal fashion direction and lead and manage all aspects of designing, developing, selecting and approving materials, silhouettes, colors, and patterns for the season.Primary Responsibilities:
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- Determine the brand's seasonal fashion direction and direct the creation of original concepts that encompass style, color, print, pattern and fabric.
- Ensure that the collection meets the fashion and quality requirements consistent with the brand profile.
- Oversees the initiation of product packages through technical design team.
- Communicate the Worthington brand business strategy to other design divisions and to senior management in product management and merchandising.
- Shop print studios and fabric mills to define print direction for the season and develop fabric, yarn and trim strategies appropriate for the brand.
- Travel as needed, shop appropriate markets and work with the trend office and product and design team to conceptualize the product design for the season.
- Direct the development and makes seasonal merchandise presentation of proposed designs, including boards, original or prototype samples, and other visuals.
- Oversee the approval of strike-offs, handlooms and knit-downs and all approvals for fit, style and construction.
- Provide leadership, management and development of the staff and leadership to the Division through product category expertise.
- Develop and ensure adherence to the Seasonal Time and Action Calendar.
- College degree in fine arts or design, or equivalent work experience in a design related field preferred.
- 10 - 15 years' experience in design product and fabrication knowledge; emphasis on collection.
- Working knowledge of the technical aspects of the assigned category.
- Well versed in print and pattern.
- Experience designing around concepts and flat sketches.
- Proven technical and computer skills.
- High taste level.
- Strong ability to work in and motivate a team with high energy and enthusiasm.
- Strong business acumen.
JCPenney proudly serves customers at more than 650 stores across the United States and Puerto Rico, and at the Company's flagship store, jcp.com. JCPenney is one of the nation's largest retailers of apparel, home, jewelry, and beauty merchandise with a growing portfolio of private and national brands. Guided by the Golden Rule, JCPenney employs more than 60,000 associates worldwide and has served customers for over 119 years, playing a vital role in the communities it serves. For additional information, please visit jcp.com and follow JCPenney on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Follow us and see what's new: Instagram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Media Room jcp.com
Job Title: Design Director - Women's Apparel
Location: Plano, TX, United States -
Job ID: 1112993
J.C. Penney Company Inc.