At JCPenney, we share a passion for serving customers, supporting our communities and being the best retailer for all families. As a company founded on the Golden Rule, our success is rooted in the belief that we treat everyone the way we would want to be treated. At every touchpoint, customers will discover stylish merchandise at incredible value from an extensive portfolio of private, exclusive and national brands. Reinforcing this shopping experience is the customer service and warrior spirit of approximately 98,000 associates across the globe, all driving toward helping customers find what they love for less time, money and effort.
Working at JCPenney means joining a dedicated team of associates who are encouraged to be uniquely themselves in a safe, caring and welcoming environment. It is a place where careers prosper, accomplishments are celebrated and diversity flourishes. It's a place that's meant for you.
As the General Manager you will create an environment of outstanding customer service. You will drive sales and profit through execution of an overall store strategy; including leading and engaging the team and delivering on operational excellence standards.Primary Responsibilities:
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- Customer Service - Models and holds team accountable for outstanding customer service. Engages associates and customers to facilitate/deliver an enriching customer experience.
- Sales - Reviews targeted sales and expense tools to quickly identify and prioritize areas of opportunity; sets team direction to maximize sales and deliver profitability targets. Actively participates in peer group discussions to identify trends and/or barriers to business performance.
- Team Development - Actively walks the floor and coaches in the moment to enhance each leader's ability to execute as well as develop their own respective teams. Understands the strengths and opportunities of each direct report and frequently conducts coaching conversations.
- Team Recognition and Motivation - Proactively identifies the most effective ways to recognize associates that achieve superior performance and motivates them to deliver on the company strategy.
- Specialty Businesses - Leads the Salon Manager and/or Beauty Manager and engages those associates to deliver on client service, sales, and profit metrics.
- Performance Standards - Consistently meets established performance standards, including but not limited to product and service sales, customer services, profit, productivity, and attendance.
What you get:
- Work Experience - 3-5 years experience as a Retail General Manager, ideally in a big-box retailer or in multi-unit specialty retail
- Education - Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience
- Drives Performance - Holds self and others accountable to a higher standard to achieve results; provides feedback, visibility and recognition to the team.
- Strategic Vision - Identifies strategies and objectives; provides clear expectations and shares rationale behind decisions.
- Develops Talent - Builds a diverse and high performing team; provides feedback and stretch assignments to foster growth; empowers the team to make critical decisions; rewards and recognizes efforts and frequently discusses future opportunities and development plans.
- Practices Candor - An approachable and unguarded leader that shares honest and constructive feedback with team; sincere with communication.
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise.About JCPenney:
JCPenney is the shopping destination for diverse, working American families. With inclusivity at its core, the Company's product assortment meets customers' everyday needs and helps them commemorate every special occasion with style, quality and value. JCPenney offers a broad portfolio of fashion, apparel, home, beauty and jewelry from national and private brands and provides personal services including salon, portrait and optical. The Company and its 50,000 associates worldwide serve customers where, when and how they want to shop - from jcp.com to more than 650 stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. In 2022, JCPenney celebrates 120 years as an iconic American brand by continuing its legacy of connecting with customers through shopping and community engagement. Please visit JCPenney's Newsroom to learn more and follow JCPenney on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Job Title: General Manager, Plainfield, IN
Location: Plainfield, IN, United States -
Job ID: 1112977
J.C. Penney Company Inc.