Transportation Senior Specialist
This position will be based at the Cedar Hill, TX Store Support Center and will report to the Regional Transportation Manager. This position is a key member of the Domestic Transportation field team and partners closely with the local dedicated transportation provider, JCPenney Store Support Center operations, and JCPenney Store Operations to deliver world-class service to 107 stores in the six state service area.
The position will be accountable for the flow of merchandise from the Cedar Hill Store Support Center to JCPenney retail stores. It manages the third party dedicated carrier provider to meet on-time service expectations in the most cost-effective manner. This leader will drive the local execution of transportation strategies, policies, and programs and will monitor the performance of the local dedicated transportation provider to ensure they meet contractual SLAs. Support of the Store Support Center operations team is critical to ensure company initiatives and supply chain metrics are met.
The ideal candidate will be self-driven and a highly motivated and inquisitive leader who is comfortable working in a fast-paced, retail environment managing third party carrier relationships and developing partnerships inside and outside of the organization. This leader will have the ability to influence others with superior communication skills.
Job responsibilities to include:
- Manages local third party dedicated carrier to achieve efficient, reliable, and cost-effective transportation solutions.
- Responsible for transportation execution of local dedicated carrier; timely resolution of problems that could impact flow of merchandise to stores; proactively develops contingency plans and manages crisis situations.
- Proactively forecast, track and communicate surges in merchandise flows for the local dedicated carrier and Store Support Center allowing them the proper lead-time to develop capacity plans, particularly in peak season.
- Analyzes carrier operations and cost data to benchmark service standards & determine service performance to ensure contracted service level agreements and budgeted local operating costs are being met; decisively develops plans for any gaps in performance.
- Supports the development of carrier strategies and leads the local execution of transportation initiatives that will improve lead-time, cost, on-time service, and fleet trailer utilization.
- Builds and maintains proactive communication with local carrier leadership to support mutually beneficial business relationships thus improving capabilities that support JCP business requirements and objectives.
- Responsible for the Store Support Center to store transportation budget including KPI performance and cost improvement opportunities.
- Works closely with Store Support Center Operations and Store Operations to deliver best in class service for JCP stores; primary contact for JCP stores within the service area of the Store Support Center.
- Lead associate engagement initiatives to develop and broaden the scope of knowledge of the local Field Transportation team
Bachelor's Degree in a business discipline from an accredited college preferred
Minimum 2-3 years of management experience in transportation or supply chain operations, preferably in the retail industry
Some travel required
Job Title: Transportation Sr Specialist
Location: Cedar Hill, TX, United States -
Job ID: 1110058
J.C. Penney Company Inc.