Senior Legal Analyst - Corporate Litigation
The Senior Legal Analyst
works under the supervision of an attorney, performs all legal assistance and/or paralegal functions related to litigation and handles certain responsibilities in which the analyst exercises discretion and independent non-legal judgment with respect to matters of significance related to litigation.Primary Responsibilities:
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- Gathers documents and other factual information relative to legal issues from various Company departments, providing general assistance to attorneys.
- Drafts settlements, legal hold notices, discovery responses, responses to subpoena requests, and other legal documents.
- Prepares court and other administrative agency filings, tracks status and follows through on assigned matters or projects, reviews documents for production for attorney-client privilege, and gathers information and documents in response to discovery and/or subpoenas.
- Handles general inquiries relating to matter status and/or acts in a liaison relationship within the organization to facilitate efficient workflow in legal matters or projects, and may undertake basic legal work and prepare reports.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of all aspects of the legal department's work and its context in the organization as a whole.
- Manages subpoenas and cases filed in small claims courts.
- Serves as a legal point-of-contact with Customer Care team and store associates.
- Responsible for preparing, issuing and tracking legal holds and preparing regular reports of asserted claims for management's review.
What you get:
- College degree or comparable paralegal experience and/or paralegal certificate from ABA accredited paralegal program is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 - 5 years' experience in a comparable law department environment or law firm with similar legal practice areas, including substantive litigation experience.
- Proficiency in legal research, legal writing, effective communication, multi-tasking and summary reporting; knowledge of litigation; attention to detail; resourcefulness; use of collaborative solutions in handling issues or tasks; and versatility in dealing with legal staff and handling assignments.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook required; experience with iManage and Exterro preferred.
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise.About JCPenney:
JCPenney is the shopping destination for diverse, working American families. With inclusivity at its core, the Company's product assortment meets customers' everyday needs and helps them commemorate every special occasion with style, quality and value. JCPenney offers a broad portfolio of fashion, apparel, home, beauty and jewelry from national and private brands and provides personal services including salon, portrait and optical. The Company and its 50,000 associates worldwide serve customers where, when and how they want to shop - from jcp.com to more than 650 stores in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. In 2022, JCPenney celebrates 120 years as an iconic American brand by continuing its legacy of connecting with customers through shopping and community engagement. Please visit JCPenney's Newsroom to learn more and follow JCPenney on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.
Job Title: Senior Legal Analyst - Corporate Litigation
Location: Plano, TX, United States -
Job ID: 1109674
J.C. Penney Company Inc.